Monday, March 26, 2007

Finally

Georgetown outlasted North Carolina last night to win the East Regional and move on to the Final Four in dramatic fashion. Jonathan Wallace nailed a game-tying three-pointer with about 30 seconds left, and then the Hoyas clamped down to hold the Tar Heels scoreless for all but the last 8 seconds of overtime to seal the victory, 96 - 84.

This is Georgetown's first trip to the Final Four since 1985, and the first for a D.C. area team since, well, last year's George Mason squad. (We're not exactly starving for college hoops success, unlike all those Philly schools.)

I watched the game at McFadden's in Foggy Bottom then strolled through Georgetown to see the atmosphere. Suprisingly, I went to sleep last night thinking that Georgetown kids just don't know how to celebrate these days. Long story short, I was born at Georgetown Hospital the day between the Hoyas advancing to the National Championship game and the day they won it all in 1984. My mother never let me forget that she couldn't sleep a wink all weekend because of the rowdy Georgetown students. Needless to say, I was shocked to see M Street NW almost entirely empty.

Well, after checking some blogs this morning, it turns out I didn't see anyone because they had already moved down M Street onto Pennsylvania Ave and were chanting "We Want Bush!" in front of the White House.

Beautiful.

Anyway, the Hoyas now collide with the Ohio State Buckeyes for the right to play for the National Title. I'll get a preview up later this week. For now, I'm just going to enjoy the high spirits in D.C.

No comments: